Wednesday, June 28, 2006

In Transit

The love of travel is overwhelmingly bittersweet. On one hand, you get to see the world, make new friends, and become a more independent person. On the other, you are away from your family and friends for long periods of time, you can never feel entirely at home in just one place, and you spend way too much money on crappy things like SpaceBags. Sometimes I feel like I would give anything to be content just settling down in Des Moines, near family and friends, with a cute apartment and a cubicle job. Being torn in so many directions is exhausting.

You can thank Korean Airlines for the maudlin tone of voice I have this morning. I am currently at Chicago O'Hare, waiting for Korean Air to x-ray and re-approve my checked luggage. The reason the initial scan in Des Moines wasn't good enough is apparently attributable to my one-way ticket. So, I was told that I would have to wait upwards of an hour for them to collect my baggage from my first flight and then x-ray it again to make sure I haven't bought a one-way ticket with a view to blowing up the plane. At least I'm able to pay $7 for the privilege of using O'Hare's "WiFiZone" so that I can keep myself occupied instead of foaming at the mouth.

Anyway, my next entry should be from Korea, if everything goes according to plan...as long as I'm not detained for questioning or anything like that!

No comments:

Post a Comment