Thursday, October 15, 2009

Winter Wonderland WTF?

"Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns."
George Eliot

Autumn is my favorite season, so when it only lasts three and a half weeks, I get a bit cranky. Personally, I think that snow before Halloween should just be illegal. Where are the golden and russet leaves crunching underfoot? The homey whiff of woodsmoke in the air? Cheeks glowing red from the pleasant bite of the wind at a high school football game and the crappy concession stand hot chocolate throughout? And let's not even talk about the Norman Rockwell escapades to apple orchards and pumpkin patches, sipping hot spiced cider before taking a hay ride with your family. These things were as traditional to the Midwestern autumns of my youth as State Fair corn dogs were to the summers.

Yesterday, it started snowing here in Gliwice. Sleet, at first, eventually shifting into fat flakes by nightfall. I've been told that this will be it...nothing but winter from this day forward. I refuse to give in; surely, there's a bit of autumn left in this place. Just melt this snow and give me a couple more weeks of air that's crisp instead of frigid, bright blue sky mornings instead of dishwater gray clouds, and let me wear a scarf because it's cute instead of needing to wind it around my head to keep my face from freezing off.

Two more weeks of fall is not too much to ask when it's only October 15th. Just sayin'...

"Bittersweet October. The mellow, messy, leaf-kicking, perfect pause between the opposing miseries of summer and winter."
Carol Bishop Hipps



No comments:

Post a Comment