Friday, February 2, 2001

You have to sober up and go home sometime...‏


Hello everyone!

Well, it seems so sad to think about it, but my time here in Denmark is finally up. :-( I leave here at 7:45am tomorrow. I keep thinking that I've forgotten something that I wanted to buy, or a picture that I wanted to take, but I know that it's just my brain trying to find a way out of having to leave. I mean, I am SO excited to come home, I can't even put it in words, but there's a big part of me that's really going to miss it here. Perhaps the Mimosas and the red wine I had this evening are making me sentimental, but there is just an otherworldliness about Denmark and Europe that I'm going to be sad to leave behind.

Anyway, I realize that I haven't written about my trip to Prague, but I think that I will just have to tell you all in person. I haven't finished packing yet, and I need to try to sleep a little bit before we start the long drive to Billund at 3:30 this morning.

However, I would like to tell you briefly about my last day here in Aalborg.

First of all, it started snowing today. They very rarely get snow, but for some reason the weather shifted and now we're expecting a big storm tomorrow. Naturally. But, I'm sure that the weather will hold out long enough for me to fly back home.

Pernille, Kieth, Ulrik and I had lunch at a nice place called the Cafe Rendez-Vous. The sandwich I had was great. Did I ever tell you that Danish people eat EVERYTHING with a knife and fork, including sandwiches?? Craziness. Anyway, after lunch we walked to this other restaurant in order to have some hot chocolate because it was so cold outside. This restaurant was built in the wine cellar of a very old building and it was just gorgeous. There were arched stone walls and glowing candelabras everywhere. The seats were actually just wooden benches. It had a great atmosphere, if not such great hot chocolate.

Afterwards, Ulrik left and we went shopping for some last minute stuff. We were late getting home and Pernille was worried because she had forgotten to set out the cornish game hens we were having for dinner, so they weren't defrosted when her mom got home.

We had a small dinner party/going away party tonight. Her mom made some great bruschetta as an appetiser and then we all sat around and ate it while drinking champagne and making toasts to me having a safe trip. Dinner was cornish game hens with a white sauce that had grape halves in it. So delicious!! And dessert was this beautiful cake her mom spent two days making, called a Rubensteiner Cake. I took a picture, of course. :-) And then her mom said she wanted to make a speech and then proceeded to pull out a piece of paper, on which she had written a farewell speech to me. It was so sweet!!! And they all told me that they would love to have me back to visit anytime. Gosh...these people are so nice!

Anyway, the time has come for me to stop stalling and start packing. :-( Well, by this time tomorrow I'll be in the States again and I'm sure I'll be very happy. Right now I feel kind of sad, but I'm sure that once I get home and don't have to convert currency in my head everywhere I go, I'll be grateful just to be back. Anyway, I'll see all of you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment